Wednesday 23 June 2010

Memories...

Hi there!!

I'm back again, with my Dad's Father's Day card at last!! I've finally got a brief let up in the pace on the card-making front and my next one doesn't have to be ready til next Monday, hence the two posts in two days!! :) I wrote most of this last night while while my mum was glued to (actually trying to stay awake through, as it's so dull, but refusing to allow it to be turned off!) the football- there's been sport on in our house non-stop for weeks with football, tennis, racing, etc., etc.- I haven't even managed to see what was on the craft shows yesterday yet and I think I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!! ;) Still, I can't be tempted to spend money on stuff I've not seen, so I guess that's perhaps not such a bad thing!! ;)

Anyway, my Dad's card:


it's ended up being fairly minimal as I just decided it looked good and it'd be silly to go looking for other places to add things and probably ruin it in the process!! Besides, I think the simple clean lines suit a man's card- for my Dad anyway!! :)


I saw this fold for the first time here on Elaine's blog a week or so ago and knew straight away that I wanted to use it for my Dad's card- I'm not sure what it's proper name is or even if it has one but I've been thinking of it as a kind of 'upside down easel card'!! I had a card blank already scored for an easel card so I just turned it in the other way- very simple so far!! ;)


The decoupage is made from one of the character toppers from the Forever Friends Cd- my dad would fire up the barbeque at any opportunity when I was little so I thought of him straight away when I saw it! :) I sized the image in MCS to fit in my new Nellie Snellen rectangle die and copied it to make the extra layers, then cropped out the excess with the digital punch feature to save ink before printing. I layered it with the Nellie rectangle from silver linen textured cardstock, a gorgoues blue linen textured paper with it's corners rounded and a piece cut from a spare white card blank the same as the base, edging that and the decoupage piece with a swipe from a Brilliance Inkpad in Pearlescent Sky Blue to match the paper and give definition. Then I cut a circle of the silver card with nesties for the stopper and attatched that to the top of the blank with a decorative eyelet (from We R Memory Keepers) using my Cropodile. It was a bit tricky figurng out exactly where to position the topper on the front and then the eyelet but I think that's probably only because it was the first time I'd done it and I wanted to make sure I left space for the greeting!


The greeting was made in MCS again using the colour-picker to get the words the shade of blue in the bears apron. I traced over the wording with Sakura Clear Glaze pen, edged it with Blue ink and layered it on to the card with a strip of the blue paper and the attached a couple of Extra Large Snaps (also from We R Memory Keepers when I found loads of the on sale a few weeks back!) :) A panel edged with blue ink inside the card for a bit of interest finished it all off!

 

And a couple more close-ups! :) (I gone a bit mad with the photos on this one but it's mainly as I was having so much trouble getting any that looked good that in the end I took loads!! :S) I glazed the sausage after tracing the 'Dad' with Clear stardust :) I chose the Memories eyelet (which I've had for years since it came in the kit with my Cropodile but have been saving as they'd be so expensive to replace!!) as whenever I smell the unmistakable smell of charcoal and fire-lighters on the wind, I'm transported back to my childhood standing with my dad watching him getting the barbie going and cooking sausages and burgers galore!! Very happy memories!! :)

I've missed a few of the challenges I was going to enter this in having not managed to post it til now but there are still a few options, I think!! So, I'd like to enter it in these: Crafty Cardmakers- Cards For Men :) ; One Stop Craft Challenge- One for the Boys :) ; and Magical Crafts Challenge- Something for a Male/ Father's Day :)

Right, I shall go and link those up now!! Thanks for reading and for any comments!! :) Hope you're all enjoying the good weather and not melting too much!! :)

hugs,

10 comments:

Unknown said...

hi rachel,

thank you for the lovely comment about my blog, im only getting into the swing of having it, :) was having a nosey thorugh yours, your cards are beautiful, i esp love the father's day one, very unusual layout but great. i love your grandad father's day one aswell, and the bentley bear birthday one, its yummy looking with the brads that look like Smarties, :)

Jenny xox

Elaine Stark said...

Lovely card, you will be hooked with this style of card I know I am. Great discription an upside down easel card. Elaine

Donna said...

Your card is lovely - I have made a few like this and I call it an upside down easel card too!
The colours I used on the FF bear are Putty, Tan & Cinnamon and Ivory for the bit round his nose.
Thanks for the blog award - I'll try and get round to it soon xx

jackiescrafts said...

A lovely card I've not seen one like it before, I think an upside down easel is a good name for it
Thanks for joining in at Magical Crafts this time

Jackie x

coops said...

fantastic card rachel, i love the clean and simple design and fabulous image.especially love the big eyelet.luv coops.xx

Dazie said...

A really lovely card! You cant go wrong with a Forever Friends image this one is just great!

Thanks for joining us at magical crafts this fortnight!
Dazie
x

Lindsey said...

Oh how gorgeous! Must try this style out myself as I think it looks great. I love the clean and simple line on this as the simplicity of the layout makes it so striking. I think you were right not to add any more embellishments (I know how hard that is lol!)
Thanks for joining us at OSCC this week xx

Jane said...

Sooo cute...that sausage looks so real!!! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers XX

Maggie Bob said...

Great card. I think you're right, it does look like an upside down easel card.

Thank you for playing along at One Stop Craft Challenge.

Maggie
x

Carol Ann said...

A great Father's day card I agree that the card is better without any more embellishments added it is so pretty the way you have left it. Thanks for playing along Magical Crafts.
Carol Ann xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...