Friday 4 November 2011

Making it (a) Colourful Christmas with Something Old and Something New at Forever Friends :)

Hello there!! :)

{What a garbled post title... all will become clear(er!) soon!!lol}


Well, it's *not* the first Thursday of the month, it's the first Friday... which means I'm a day late with my card for the new  Monthly Challenge over at Forever Friends!! Ooops!! It's been one of those weeks (or months, maybe!!) and time's just run away from me again!! :S Anyway, we have a fab challenge for you this time as we'd like to see you use both 'Something Old and Something New' on you cards (or any other creations you would like to share!!)!! :) You only need to include an animal not necessarily a FF bear- though we'd love it if you did and I really enjoyed seeing so many more of them in the last challenge!! :)- and we are sponsored this time by Stitchy Bears!! :)


I have ended up with two 'Old' and two 'New' items on my card, although I could probably have got away with just using my FF stamp as both as I have had it for at least a year but this is the first time I've used it!! Tut tut... ;) The old are my FF stamp and the gorgeous K & Co. paper and the new are the fence and LOTV Circular Sentiment stamps :) I must just give credit where it's due and say I came across a gorgeous card similar to this (using probably my favourite of my FF stamps :) ) over here on Caroline's lovely blog while I was visiting entrants to our last Forever Friends challenge (one of the best things about being on a DT is the chance to discover so many fab crafter's blogs and so much great inspiration!! :) ) and I knew at once that I had to have the lovely fence stamp she'd used so that I could have a go myself as I've been wanting to get some stamps that would let me try making scenes for while!! :)


I have to say that the proportions of the finished image did stump me a tad on the layout front and I was in a strange mood when I was trying to put this together anyway and just was not going to let the image get stuck on straight... so the odd, slanted layout came about as, while I was fiddling with bits of paper and different shaped/sized card blanks, I knocked this piece of paper to this angle... and just kinda liked it!!lol Gotta love a happy accident... much better than the usual chuck-it-in-the-bin-and-start-again kind!! ;D


I've coloured with ProMarkers and was inspired by the current challenge at Make it Colourful (hence the post title!!) to try 'colouring texture' so the fence is my first attempt at that... have another idea in my head for that challenge, too, but will have to see if I have time/energy enough to try it!!lol I'm none too happy with the sky as it's gone a bit patchy... didn't really think when I chose to use the Santa FF about the fact that the scene would need to be a night-time one... so *slight* panic when that occurred to me when I'd already coloured the fence and was committed!!lol


A close up to show the fence better- I coloured with my normal PM nibs first, starting by laying down a layer of my mid tone (Spice) and then adding the darker colours for shading (Walnut and Cinnamon) and the light (Gold) in short strokes following the direction the grain would run, aiming for a patchy, scratchy look rather than a smooth blend. Then went back in after that was dry with the lightest and darkest colours and my fine nibs for some more definition... I'm fairly pleased for a first attempt and had fun trying which is what it's all about after all!! :) This pic is also the best one to see the stardust pen I used to try to look like snowflakes in the sky- when my attempts to bleach the blue out with my blender didn't work!!lol I was too chicken to use a white gel pen as that always seems to look weird when I try it and I really didn't want to ruin the whole image at the end!! :S


I coloured the bear in my usual way (PMs: – Ivory, Oatmeal, and Vanilla with Sunkissed Pink for ears and cheeks) though he looks paler to me... don’t know if this is 'cos it's the first time I've coloured a FF on this cardstock or just because the rest of the image is so much darker than usual and is making more of a contrast...I'm learning fast how important the card is for colouring!!lol I also used my Glamour Dust for the first time, so another 'New' thing, and it is sooo pretty and much more sparkly than glitters I've used before (though you were right, Carole- it has already got everywhere and I didn't even spill it!!lol)!! :)



A couple more close ups- the lovely sentiment (I have been singing 'Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...' to myself since the Crafter's Companion challenge went live this week ...only, after I get that far, I get stuck as all that comes into my head is 'Wake up, it's a beautiful morning...' - damn that BBC Weather trailer!!lol) and some more of my pre-prepared Cricut Snowflakes, which are sat on my desk, ready glimmer-misted, and just waiting to be added to any Christmas card that needs a little something!! :)

The List:
  • 5"x7" white card blank
  • Forever Friends wooden stamp
  • Snow Fence stamp by Alota Stamps
  • Stamped in Memento Rich Cocoa and coloured with ProMarkers (picture below to save time and energy again :) )
  • Corner Punch
  • Beautiful DP from a K & Co. Tim Coffey pad I was given years ago :)
  • MS Cherish border punch
  • Glamour Dust
  • Sakura Clear Stardust and Clear Glaze pens
  • LOTV Circular Christmas Sentiment (stamped in Brilliance Starlite Black)
  • Snowflakes- larger ones cut on Cricut from When It's Cold Outside' cartridge and spritzed with Perfect Pearls Pearl shimmer mist, smaller ones were the 'waste' saved from a MS border punch
  • Assorted gems 


I’d like to enter this in the following challenges: Crafter’s Companion – Let it snow, let it snow. Let it snow... :) ; Crafts & Me – Let the music move you (song as above!!) :) ; I Promarkers – Glitter and Glitz :) ; Dream Valley – Anything Goes :) ; Pollycraft Monday –Anything Goes :) ; Charisma Cardz – Cutesy :) ; Papertake Weekly – Anything Goes plus optional (is it ever optional really?!lol) Bling :) ; Pink Gem - Cold and Frosty :) ; Little Claire’s – Christmas :)

Well, thank you for stopping by and sticking with me through another long post- I really must try harder to write less, I just like to share and have a record of not just the basics but the thought processes behind my cards as I forget things so quickly with my hopeless foggy brain but apologies if it bores people!! :S Thanks for the comments on my last few posts!! :) Do pop over to the Forever Friends and Co. blog to see the lovely cards from the rest of the team!! :) Hope to be back soon- have a great weekend folks and enjoy the fireworks if you’re lucky enough to see any!! :)




14 comments:

Jenni said...

Cute image and the layout works very well I think! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Charisma Cardz this week.
Jenni x

Carole of Brum said...

Oh I love it, Rachel! the dark blue looks amazing with the white card and snowflakes and also with the colours in your image. Great job with the texture on the fence too....lovely to see you joining in with the MiC challenge! Just a perfect card, don't know how you manage it every time. CoB

Karen said...

Lovely card Rachel, thanks for joining us at I ♥ ProMarkers.
xx

coops said...

stunning card rachel.i love the fab design and winter scene and the ff bear is gorgeous ;D

xx coops xx

Lynne in NI said...

Aww what a cutie! I love these little FF images and you've done a great job with your fence. Thanks for playing along with us at Dream Valley Challenges.

Tine said...

Hi Rachel. Perfect snowy sparkle & a lovely card. Thanks for joining us this week at I ♥ Promarkers & I hope to see you next time too.
Tine :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, I think this is pefectly gorgeous! The image is just gorgeous and I like the way it's positioned. Fab colouring too!
xx

Georgina said...

A great card. Cute image a great colouring. Lovely punched border and snowflakes. Thank you for joining Little Claire blog challenge.

sparklingblackrose said...

Gorgeous Rachel, youve done a fantastic job! I love it :-) Elaine-xxx-

RoseC said...

Ooo Rachel, your Santa bear image looks wonderful on this fabulous snowy card! Love how you incorporated the Let It Snow song as your inspiration. So glad to see your entry at the Crafts and Me Digi team's Let the Music Move You challenge. ~ Rose

Joey said...

Rachel this is so cute, I love the bear and love the slant on the design, thanks for joining us at pollycraft. Joey x

NGCARDS said...

A wonderful creation hun! Thanks for joining us this week at Papertake Weekly! xxx

sara said...

gorgeous card love that sweet little teddy thanks so much for joining us at dream valley this week
hugs sara x

Janet said...

Beautiful! Thank you for joining A Gem of a Challenge x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...